What Is True Worship Of God ?
What is true worship of God according to the Bible ? In Part 1 we began to see that your heart and your relationship with God are very important in worship. True worship of God. Not just going to church and singing worship songs. We can regularly go to church and sing along with everyone else, and still be far from God in our hearts.
The main thing about worship is your heart. Is Jesus your First Love, Treasure, and Passion in your heart ? Are you devoted to Him to the point of being willing to be and do whatever Jesus tells you ?
Are you willing to sacrifice all out of love for God, like Jesus did ?
What Is True Worship Of God In The Bible ?
God’s Word the Bible is full of examples of various forms of true worship of God. Last week we saw the first 12 things shown in the Bible that are parts of true worship. Worship songs, worship music, lifting up of hands, glorify God, exalt God, praise God, honor God, reverence for God, bless God, give thanks, rejoice & enjoy God, and verbal testimony.
Now we will finish this 2 parts series by listing the final 11 things the Bible shows that make up true worship of God.
Biblical Examples Of True Worship of God
REMEMBER GOD’S ACTS
- Psalm 150:2 – Praise him in his mighty acts. Praise him according to the abundance of his greatness.
- Deuteronomy 5:15 – You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out of there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God commanded you to observe the sabbath day.
REVERENTLY READ GOD’S WORD
- Nehemiah 8:3,5- He read from it before the square which was in front of the Water Gate from early morning until midday, in the presence of men and women, those who could understand. And all the people were attentive to the book of the law. Ezra opened a the book in the sight of all the people for he was standing above all the people. And when he opened it, all the people stood up.
- Psalm 19:7-11 – The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether. They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold. Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them Your servant is warned. In keeping them there is great reward.
SERVE GOD WITH A RIGHT HEART
- Psalm 100:2 – Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing.
- Colossians 3:23 – Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men.
SEEK TO KNOW GOD
- Psalm 63:1-4 – God, You are my God; I shall be watching for You. My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, In a dry and exhausted land where there is no water. So have I seen You in the sanctuary, To see Your power and glory. Because Your favor is better than life, My lips will praise You. So I will bless You as long as I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name.
- James 4:8 – Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
- Psalm 84:1-2 – How lovely are Your dwelling places, O LORD of hosts! My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the LORD. My heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God.
- Philippians 3:7-10 – But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith. That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 – If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
- Exodus 33:13 – If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you.
- 1 Peter 5:6 – Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.
GIVE TO SUPPORT GOD’S WORK
- 1 Chronicles 29:14 – But who am I and who are my people that we should be able to offer as generously as this? For all things come from You, and from Your hand we have given You.
- Malachi 3:3-4 – He will sit as a smelter and purifier of silver, and He will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, so that they may present to the LORD offerings in righteousness. Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the LORD as in the days of old and as in former years.
More Biblical Examples Of True Worship Of God
HONOR THE LORD’S DAY
- Nehemiah 8:9 – Nehemiah the governor, Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who were instructing the people said to all of them, “This day is holy to the LORD your God. Do not mourn or weep.” For all the people were weeping as they heard the words of the Law.
- Exodus 20:8-11 – Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.
CELEBRATE GOD & JESUS
- Nehemiah 8:10 – Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.
- Luke 2:10 – But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.”
HAVE AN OBEDIENT LIFE
- Psalm 101:1-3 – I will sing of mercy and justice; To You, LORD, I will sing praises. I will carefully attend to the blameless way. When will You come to me? I will walk within my house in the integrity of my heart. And I will set no worthless thing before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away. It shall not cling to me.
- I John 5:3 – For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
- John 14:15 – If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
JESUS IS YOUR FIRST LOVE
- Revelation 2:2-4 – I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false. And you have perseverance and have endured for My name’s sake, and have not grown weary. But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.
TELL OTHERS ABOUT JESUS
- Psalm 96:1-3 – Sing to the LORD a new song. Sing to the LORD, all the earth. Sing to the LORD, bless His name. Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day. Tell of His glory among the nations, His wonderful deeds among all the peoples.
- 1 Chronicles 16:23-25 -Sing to the Lord, all the earth. Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day. Tell of His glory among the nations, His wonderful deeds among all the peoples. For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised. He also is to be feared above all gods.
SURRENDER & GIVE YOURSELF AND YOUR LIFE TO GOD
- Matthew 16:24-25 – Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. “For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it. But whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.”
- Romans 12:1-2 – Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
- Luke 9:23 – And He was saying to them all, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.”
- John 15:13-15 – Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.”
- Galatians 2:20 – I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. And the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
- Philippians 1:21 – For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
As we have already said, the most important part of true worship is your heart. And your relationship and fellowship with God. You need to have a heart that is fully devoted to Jesus. Willing to be and do whatever He wants. A heart that has Jesus as your First Love, your Treasure, and your Passion.
Pursuing Intimacy With God
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There is much more information on Intimacy With God, Prayer, Praise & Worship, Hearing God’s Voice,… and hundreds of great Biblical truths and promises in the Pursuing Intimacy With God Bible studies.