What Does Seek God With All Your Heart Mean ? You hear the words “seek God” a lot, but what do they actually mean in the Bible ? And how do you seek God with all your heart ?
This is a 2 part series of Bible studies that look into the meaning of “seek God with all your heart”. When you understand what the Bible means by “seek God”, then it will help you to learn how to do it. What is in your heart has a lot to do with seeking God.
In God’s word the Bible He promises us that if you seek God with all your heart, then you will find Him. If you seek to know God in real and personal ways with all of our heart, then you will get to know God by Him revealing Himself to us.
When you commit to seek God’s will (ahead of our own will) and seek God with all your heart, then God will reveal His perfect will and purpose and calling to you. If you seek God’s guidance and wisdom and seek God with all your heart, then God will personally guide us and give us His far superior wisdom for any decision, need, or situation.
God’s Promises About Seeking Him
God promises that if you seek Him with all your heart then you will find Him. Any promise that God makes in His word you can take to the bank… God will always fulfill His promises because of His perfect character and His perfect faithfulness. God is perfectly faithful so His promises are guarantees. So if you are seeking God with all your heart, then you will surely find Him.
- Deuteronomy 4:29 – “But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul.”
- 1 Chronicles 28:9 – “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for the LORD searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever.”
- James 4:8 – ” Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.”
- Luke 11:9-10 – “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.”
The Biblical Meaning of Seek God
In the Bible, the Old Testament and New Testament words for “seek God with all your heart” mean:
- to seek the face of God
- to desire God
- Examine or explore
- to seek earnestly for God
- to diligently search for God
- Wish for God
- to crave for God
- to investigate
- Pursue God
God Needs to Touch Our Hearts
Only God can touch your heart and give you the desire to continually seek God with all your heart. And the desire to know Him and to want His will & plans & ways above your own.
- “ I will give them a heart to know me.” – Jeremiah 24:7
- “ O Lord, God of our fathers, keep this desire in the hearts of your people forever, and keep their hearts loyal to you. And give my son Solomon the wholehearted devotion to keep your commands, requirements, and decrees…” – 1 Chronicles 29:18-19
- “For it is God who works in you to will and act according to His good purpose.” – Philippians 2:13
Love And Passion For God
To seek God with all your heart is all about having a love and a passion for God. You are God’s first love. He loves you more than anything else He created. And you are God’s treasure. He values you and treasures you more than anything else. And you are God’s passion. He is passionate about you and having a close relationship with you.
When God is your First Love, your Treasure, and your Passion, then your heart will be they way God wants it to be.
- When God is your First Love. God loves us as His first love, and He loves us more than anything else that He has created. God wants us to love Him back this way… to love God more than anything else or anyone else.
- When in your heart God is your Treasure. God sees us as very special and precious treasures, and we are more special and valuable to God than anything else He has created. God wants to be our Treasure, so that we will value Him more than anything else.
- When in your heart God is your Passion. God is passionate about us, and has a passion to have close fellowship with us. He wants to be our passion, where we are more passionate about God (and the things He is passionate about like saving lost people…) than anything else.
In Part 2 we will look more into what the Bible means when it says to seek God with all your heart.
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There are hundreds of Bible verses and great truths & promises in the Pursuing Intimacy With God studies book