Are You Successful ? What Is Success ?
How God Measures Success. Success God’s Way
What is success ? Most people define success in terms of achieving goals or acquiring wealth. And having prestige and favor. And having high status and power. “Successful” people enjoy the “good life”. And they are financially secure, emotionally secure. They are surrounded by admirers. And they enjoy the fruits of their labor.
Their example is emulated and their accomplishments are noticed. Most people’s definitions of success only deal with the “here and now” of this life. And even in many churches today the definition of success is in terms of numbers, size, dollars and prestige.
Success is measured and defined differently by God. God’s measure of success involves our obedience and faithfulness to Him, regardless of opposition and personal cost. His measure of success is whether or not we are being loyal to Him in our personal relationship with Him and in our life. Also, whether we are accomplishing His goals and His purposes for our life.
Some examples in the Bible
- Jeremiah was an absolute failure when judged by people’s definition of success. For 40 years he served as God’s spokesman. But when he spoke no one listened and responded. And he was rejected by his neighbors, his family, the priests and prophets, friends, his audiences, and the kings. Jeremiah was poor and underwent severe deprivation to deliver God’s messages. He was thrown into prison and into a cistern. But in God’s eyes he was a success. He faithfully and courageously proclaimed God’s word and His messages, and he was obedient to his calling.
- Jesus was also apparently a failure. If you measure his life here on earth by people’s measure of success, then He appears to be a total failure. Jesus had little in material possessions. And He did not even own a home. Jesus was rejected by most people. And He was even hated by some. The religious leaders of the time despised him. Even his friends and those closest to him deserted him.
- Jesus was accused and found guilty of things he did not do. And He was beaten, spit on, cursed, mocked. He suffered terribly and died the most horrible kind of death known to man at that time, death on the cross. If you measure him by the way most of us measure success, then Jesus was a failure.
- But in God’s eyes, the redemption and salvation of all of mankind was accomplished through His son Jesus. By God’s grace and great love for you and I, He sent Jesus to pay for our sins. And now the gift of a restored personal relationship with God and eternal life can be ours. All because of Jesus Christ.
Bible Verses and Quotes
“God’s call is for you to be his loyal friend, to accomplish His purposes and goals for your life” – Oswald Chambers
“Do not let this book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” – God (Joshua 1:8)
“He who pursues righteousness (close & right fellowship with God) and love, finds life, prosperity, and honor.” – God (Proverbs 21:21)
“Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves… but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant…” – 2 Corinthians 3:4-6
Success In Terms of Spiritual Fruit
“My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.” – John 15:8
- Jesus is talking about spiritual eternal fruit in this verse. Spiritual eternal fruit is salvations, by sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ with others. It is also spiritual growth in others, or making disciples. Helping others to know Christ, and then helping them to grow as mature and fruitful disciples & followers of Jesus.
Focus on your fellowship with God and your partnership with God in His kingdom work and mission. And focus on faithfully following Jesus and obeying Him. God will make sure that you are successful and fruitful in your life. And it will bring Him much glory and honor.
Pursuing Intimacy With God
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
The Pursuing Intimacy With God Bible studies have many more great truths and promises from God’s Word.