Prayer: Passion To Seek God & Know God
Spending time with God and Prayer is all about having a hunger and a thirst and desire for God. A strong desire to know God personally, not just know about Him or read about Him. A passion to know Him above all other things.
It is also a strong desire to know God’s plan and will for your life, above our own. It is a desire to seek what is in God’s heart… His desires and passions. And then living to fulfill God’s desires and passions and not our own.
Do you seek God with a desire to know Him more and more ? Here is the Biblical meaning of “to seek God”.
The Old Testament and New Testament words for “seek” mean:
- to seek the face of God
- to desire
- to examine or explore
- to seek earnestly
- to diligently search for
- to wish for
- to crave
- to investigate
- to pursue
Only God can touch our hearts and give us the desire to seek and to know Him, and to want His will & plans & ways above our own:
- “I will give them a heart to know me.” – Jeremiah 24:7
- “O Lord, God of our fathers, keep this desire in the hearts of your people forever, and keep their hearts loyal to you. And give my son Solomon the wholehearted devotion to keep your commands, requirements, and decrees…” – I Chronicles 29:18-19
- “For it is God who works in you to will and act according to His good purpose.” – Phil. 2:13
Intimacy with God and the fullest possible fellowship and partnership with Him comes as you desire and seek to know Him & His plans and will and His ways.
Prayer and spending time with God is all about desire & passion for God ; it is not a “religious” discipline in your Christian walk.
- “If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways, so I may know you and continue to find favor with you… Show me your glory.” – Moses (Exodus 33:13,18)
- ” One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek; that I may dwell in the house (presence) of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in his temple.” – David (Psalm 27:4)
- “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God ? – Sons of Korah (Psalm 42:1-2)
- ” O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory… your love is better than life…” – David (Psalm 63:1-3)
- ” How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty ! My soul yearns even faints for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.” – David (Psalm 84:1-2)
We need to devote ourselves to our relationship with Jesus, and to seeking Him:
- ” Now devote your heart and souls to seeking the Lord your God.” – I Chronicles 22:19
- ” And you my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek Him he will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.” – I Chronicles 28:9
- ” For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. – Jeremiah 29:11-13
When our hearts are set on seeking and knowing and following Jesus, and He is our Frist Love, then we will be where God wants us to be
- ” I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish that I may gain Christ… I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings…” – Paul (Philippians 3:8-11)
- Hosea 10: 12
- James 4:8
- Deuteronomy 4:29
- 2 Chronicles 15:2
- Matthew 6:33
- Proverbs 21:21
“God looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God.” – Psalm 53:2
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
The Pursuing Intimacy With God Bible studies include hundreds of Bible verses and great truths & promises.