What are the keys to powerful prayer ? Jesus is our best example to follow to find the keys to powerful prayer.
Jesus was always spending time with God in prayer. He spent much time seeking God’s will and agenda early in the morning, and sometimes He spent the entire night praying.
Jesus had a very powerful prayer life, and He always got answers to His prayers.
THE 1ST OF THE KEYS TO POWERFUL PRAYER
The first and main key to having a powerful prayer life is to remember that God desires close fellowship with you. God wants you to spend time with Him, and to be devoted to Him. He does not want you to pray and spend time in prayer just to get things or answers from Him. God wants to speak to you, and to reveal Himself to you, and teach you…
A close and right relationship with God and intimacy with God is one of the keys to powerful prayer. Jesus was totally devoted to God his Father, and was also totally obedient. Obedient even to death on a cross, so he could fulfill God’s desire and will to bring salvation to a lost world.
When we are totally devoted to God and obedient to Him, then we will have a right and close fellowship with Him. Then we will have a powerful prayer life.
- James 5:16 “The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.”
You need to take the time and make the effort to work on our fellowship and intimacy with God. God desires close fellowship with you, and it is His primary calling on your life (1 Corinthians 1:9)
THE 2ND OF THE KEYS TO POWERFUL PRAYER
Another of the keys to powerful prayer is to humbly fear and have reverence for God, and to daily submit to Him. Jesus is our example to follow.
- Hebrews 5:7 “During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.”
Jesus was reverently and fully submitted to God and His will. We will need to be also if we want to see God’s great power in response to our prayers.
THE 3RD OF THE KEYS TO POWERFUL PRAYER
Another key to having a powerful prayer life is to learn to pray according to God’s heart, and according to God’s will. How can you do this ?
First of all, the closer you get to God the more you will know His heart, and His desires and will. Second, when you pray God’s word you are praying for the things that are according to His heart and His will.
POWERFUL PRAYER: PRAY GOD’S WORD
When we pray according to God’s heart and will, we can be assured that God will hear and will respond.
1 John 5:14-15 tell us “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us – whatever we ask – we know that we have what we asked of him.”
That is why when we pray God’s word and pray according to His will, great things will happen. We will see God in action.
God’s Word is full of prayers that are after God’s own heart and according to His will. Here are some examples of powerful prayer in the Bible:
GOD’S WORD IS A SPIRITUAL WEAPON (“SWORD OF THE SPIRIT”)
- “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.” – Ephesians 6:12
- “And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” – Ephesians 6:17
We need to use God’s word against our spiritual enemy in our prayers
EXPECT ANSWERS WHEN YOU PRAY ACCORDING TO GOD’S HEART & WILL, AND HAVE A RIGHT RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM
- 1 John 5:14-15 “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us-whatever we ask-we know that we have what we asked of him.”
OTHER EXAMPLES OF POWERFUL PRAYERS IN THE BIBLE
- “GIVE ME A HEART TO KNOW YOU ” – JEREMIAH 24:7
- “LET US KNOW THE TRUTH AND SET US FREE.” – JOHN 8:32
- “OPEN MY EYES THAT I MAY SEE WONDERFUL THINGS IN YOUR LAW.” – PSALM 119:18
- “CREATE IN ME A PURE HEART, O GOD, AND RENEW A STEADFAST SPIRIT WITHIN ME.” – PSALM 51:10
- “CLEANSE THOU ME FROM SECRET FAULTS.” (“FORGIVE MY HIDDEN FAULTS.”) – PSALM 19:12
- “I DO BELIEVE; HELP ME OVERCOME MY UNBELIEF.” – MARK 9:24
- “HEAR MY VOICE WHEN I CALL, O LORD; BE MERCIFUL TO ME & ANSWER ME.” – PSALM 27:7
- “… YOUR FACE LORD I WILL SEEK.” – PSALM 27:8
- “TEACH ME YOUR WAY, O LORD; LEAD ME IN A STRAIGHT PATH.” – PSALM 27:11
- “TEACH ME YOUR WAYS, SO I MAY KNOW YOU & CONTINUE TO FIND FAVOR WITH YOU.” – EXODUS 33:13
- “LORD, BE MY FIRST LOVE.” – REVELATION 2:4
- “NOT MY WILL, BUT YOUR WILL BE DONE.” – LUKE 22:42
SOME OTHER EXAMPLES OF POWERFUL PRAYER IN GOD’S WORD
- COLOSSIANS 1:9-12
- FOR A BROKEN & HUMBLE SPIRIT PSALM 51:17
- FOR A SERVANT’S HEART MARK 10:44-45
- TO BE ALERT TO SATAN’S ATTACKS & WAYS I JOHN 4:4
- BE CONFORMED TO JESUS’ LIKENESS ROMANS 8:29
- TO BE ONE WITH GOD LIKE JESUS IS JOHN 17:22
The key is to pray according to God’s heart, and according to God’s will. This is done when we pray God’s word.
When we have a right and close relationship with God, intimacy with God, and when we pray according to God’s heart & will (pray God’s word), then we will have a powerful prayer life. Then we will see God do the might and great things all around us that He wants to do.
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There is much more information and hundreds of great Bible verses & truths in the Pursuing Intimacy With God studies