PRAISE is a spiritual weapon. Praise confuses the enemy, and in the Bible there are various examples of how praise was used in battles to help secure victories. Praise breaks the oppression of the enemy… praise is a spiritual weapon that we should use to help us to win spiritual battles and to further God’s kingdom.
PRAISE comes from the Latin word “pretium”, meaning price. Prize is a variation of this word. Originally it meant “to set a great price on”. So when we praise God, we are placing a great value on Him and His acts.
God sees us as His “treasured possession” :
- “For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession.” – Deuteronomy 7:6
- “Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession.” – Exodus 19:5
Now God wants to be our Treasure and our First Love.
- “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” – Matthew 6:21
- “Jesus replied: “Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” – Matthew 22:37
- “But I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place– unless you repent.” – Revelation 2:4-5
PRAISING GOD IS COMMUNICATING WHO GOD IS, WHAT HE HAS DONE, AND WHAT HE CAN DO. PRAISE IS A SPIRITUAL WEAPON AGAINST EVIL & THE ENEMIES OF GOD:
1. PRAISE HONORS GOD – In Luke 11 Jesus taught us to begin prayer with praise in order to honor and glorify God. Psalm 29:1-2 tells us to give God the glory that is due Him. Praise helps us to focus on God, and who He is, and His greatness.
- “And He said to them, “When you pray, say: ‘Father, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come.” – Luke 11:2
- “Ascribe to the LORD, O sons of the mighty, Ascribe to the LORD glory and strength. Ascribe to the LORD the glory due to His name; Worship the LORD in holy array.” – Psalm 29:1-2
2. PRAISE HELPS US FOCUS ON GOD – Psalm 22:3 says that God inhabits the praises of His people. As we praise Him we raise up a throne or structure for Him to fill (2 Chronicles 5:13). Praise sensitizes us to God’s presence, and helps us take our focus off of ourselves and onto Him.
- “But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.” – Psalm 22:3
- “in unison when the trumpeters and the singers were to make themselves heard with one voice to praise and to glorify the LORD, and when they lifted up their voice accompanied by trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and when they praised the LORD saying, “He indeed is good for His lovingkindness is everlasting,” then the house, the house of the LORD, was filled with a cloud.” – 2 Chronicles 5:13
3. PRAISE HELPS US TO KNOW GOD – It helps us to focus on His character and His attributes. As we praise Him we rehearse our knowledge of Him, and we come to know Him as what we praise Him to be.
4. PRAISE BREAKS THE ENEMY’S OPPRESSION – In Acts 16:25-26 Paul and Silas praised God and the doors in the prison they were in were opened and they escaped. Praise lifts us out of oppression, and praising God also helps us out of our self-centered ways.
- “But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them; and suddenly there came a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison house were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were unfastened. – Acts 16:25-26
5. PRAISE CONFUSES THE ENEMY & FORCES OF EVIL – Praise is a spiritual weapon. The power of praise in battles is shown in 2 Chronicles 20, Psalm 8:2, and Psalm 149:5-9. Praise helps us to focus on God and realize our need for Him, and thus turn the battle over to Him. When we do this, God will then bring Victory. This makes Praise and Prayer and Dependence on God great weapons in Spiritual Battles.
- “Now it came about after this that the sons of Moab and the sons of Ammon, together with some of the Meunites, came to make war against Jehoshaphat. Then some came and reported to Jehoshaphat, saying, “A great multitude is coming against you from beyond the sea, out of Aram and behold, they are in Hazazon-tamar (that is Engedi).” Jehoshaphat was afraid and turned his attention to seek the LORD, and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah. So Judah gathered together to seek help from the LORD; they even came from all the cities of Judah to seek the LORD.” – 2 Chronicles 20:1-4
- “O our God, will You not judge them? For we are powerless before this great multitude who are coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are on You.” – 2 Chronicles 20:12
- “Listen, all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem and King Jehoshaphat: thus says the LORD to you, ‘Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God’s.” – 2 Chronicles 20:15
- “When he had consulted with the people, he appointed those who sang to the LORD and those who praised Him in holy attire, as they went out before the army and said, “Give thanks to the LORD, for His lovingkindness is everlasting.” 22When they began singing and praising, the LORD set ambushes against the sons of Ammon, Moab and Mount Seir, who had come against Judah; so they were routed.” – 2 Chronicles 20:21-22
Praise is a spiritual weapon that is very effective in pushing back the forces of evil. Praise is also very effective in helping us to better focus on God in our quiet time with Him and in our daily lives. Praise helps us to focus on God and thus have better intimate communication with Him and to hear God’s voice. Praise also helps us to know God in real and personal ways, rather than just know about God.
“And now my head will be lifted up above my enemies around me; and I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the Lord” – Psalm 27:6
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There are hundreds of Bible verses and great truths & promises in the Pursuing Intimacy With God studies book