HEARING GOD’S VOICE (AND FOLLOWING & OBEYING) IS VITAL FOR INTIMACY WITH GOD
Hearing God’s voice is by far the most important part of your prayer & fellowship time with Him. You cannot have an intimate and wonderful fellowship with God without leaning to hear God’s voice and intimately communicate with Him.
There can be a big difference between hearing God’s voice and listening to Him. Seeking God and listening to His voice is part of having a humble and reverent heart attitude toward God. You need to seek God with all your heart in order to learn to hear God’s voice.
God speaks to His people, and the Bible is full of examples. God continues to speak to His people to guide and lead them, and it is critical to learn to discern & hear God’s voice.
* HEARING GOD’S VOICE AND LISTENING TO GOD IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF OUR TIME WITH HIM – IT’S THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW HIM AND TO BE ONE WITH HIM:
- “Be still and know that I am God”. – Psalm 46:10
- “Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Go near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools.” – Ecclesiastes 5:1
- “ Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying “This is the way; Walk in it.” – Isaiah 30:21
- Also read:
- Exodus 33:11,13,18
- Ephesians 1:17
The Biblical word for listen means: to reverently and attentively listen, with the intent to follow or obey. (when you do not carefully seek God through His word and through prayer and listen to Him, to God you are being irreverent)
What is the first thing that you think of when you hear the word disciple ? A true disciple is a faithful learner and follower of Jesus.
* YOU CANNOT BE A TRUE DISCIPLE (LEARNER & FOLLOWER) OF JESUS UNLESS YOU LEARN TO HEAR HIS VOICE AND FOLLOW & OBEY HIM:
- ” My sheep follow me because they know my voice… My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” – John 10:4, 27
- The difference between Martha and Mary (read Luke 10:38-42) … Jesus commended Mary because she took the time to humbly sit at His feet and listen to Him.
- Why did Jesus think that Mary’s way was a better way than Martha’s ?
* WHY SHOULD WE LISTEN TO GOD AND OBEY & FOLLOW HIM ?:
- “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life…” – John 14:6
- If you want to know the way to go, truth, and find abundant life, then you need to spend time with Jesus. You need to spend time in His word & listen to His voice.
- “My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart, for they are life to those who find them and health to a man’s whole body.” – Proverbs 4:20-22
- “Blessed are those who hear the Word of God and obey it.” – Luke 11:28
- Also read:
- Joshua 1:8
- Isaiah 48:17-18
- Psalm 16:8 & 11
- Psalm 25:14
- Proverbs 8:32-35
God has sent his wonderful Word the Bible to you so that you can learn how to live to please Him, and so that you can know Him in real and personal ways. Also, so that you can become all that He has created you to be, and for you to have the best possible life.
His word is a love letter written personally to you. God primarily speaks to His people through His word the Bible. When we are not reverently and attentively spending time in God’s word, we are really ignoring Him and being irreverent towards Him. We are showing Him that there are other things in our life that are more important to us than He is.
* WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DON’T SEEK GOD AND LISTEN TO HIM & OBEY HIM ?:
- Jeremiah 32:32-35 “The people of Israel and Judah have provoked me by all the evil they have done-they, their kings and officials, their priests and prophets, the people of Judah and those living in Jerusalem. They turned their backs to me and not their faces; though I taught them again and again, they would not listen or respond to discipline. They set up their vile images in the house that bears my Name and defiled it. They built high places for Baal in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to sacrifice their sons and daughters to Molek, though I never commanded – nor did it enter my mind that they should do such a detestable thing and so make Judah sin.
- Psalm 81:8-16 “Hear me, my people, and I will warn you- if you would only listen to me, Israel! You shall have no foreign god among you; you shall not worship any god other than me. I am the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it. “But my people would not listen to me; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices. “If my people would only listen to me, if Israel would only follow my ways, how quickly I would subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes! Those who hate the LORD would cringe before him, and their punishment would last forever. But you would be fed with the finest of wheat; with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.”
- Isaiah 1:19-20 “If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good things of the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword.” For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.
When you choose to not listen to God, you are choosing to resist and rebel against Him. When you do this, you will forfeit seeing and experiencing God’s very best for you, and there will be no peace and joy and power and victory in your life.
* WHEN GOD IS YOUR “TREASURE” & “FIRST LOVE”, AND YOU WANT INTIMACY WITH HIM MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE, YOU WILL ALWAYS SEEK HIM AND LISTEN TO HIS VOICE:
- “for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. “ – Matthew 6:21
- “Seek first for His kingdom and His righteousness…” – Matthew 6:33
- “I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false; and you have perseverance and have endured for My name’s sake, and have not grown weary. But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.” Revelation 2:2-4
- “The Devotion of Hearing” & “The Voice of the Nature of God” (Oswald Chambers)
- “The voice of the Spirit of God is as gentle as a summer breeze — so gentle that unless you are living in Complete Fellowship and Oneness with God, you will never hear it.” – Oswald Chambers (I Kings 19:11-12)
- God’s Voice is a “still small voice” – I Kings 19:11-12
- “Knowing God’s voice comes from an INTIMATE LOVE RELATIONSHIP with God.” – Experiencing God
OUR HEART ATTITUDE SHOULD ALWAYS BE: “Speak Lord, your servant is listening.” – I Samuel 3:9
- Wherever we are and whatever we are doing (church, Sunday School class, small group, reading God’s word, praying…) we ought to have the attitude: “Speak Lord, your servant is listening”
Seeking God and hearing & listening to His voice is a heart attitude that comes from a heart of love for God, reverence for God, and a desire and passion to know Him and to please Him. It comes from a heart that has “crucified” and “denied” self, in order to have the fullest and most wonderful intimacy, fellowship, and partnership with God – He is your First Love.
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There is much more information and great Bible verses & truths on Hearing God’s Voice in the Pursuing Intimacy With God studies book