God’s Spiritual Goals For You – Part 3
In Part 1 and Part 2 of God’s Spiritual Goals For You we starting looking into God’s word to see what He wants to accomplish in you spiritually. And the methods and tools God uses to accomplish His goals.
In Part 3 we will continue to look into the tools that God uses. And we will
God’s Spiritual Goals For You : Training In Righteousness
These are some of the tools that God will use in your life to reach His desired goals for you
1. GOD’S WORD (A LOVE LETTER FROM GOD)
- “All Scripture is God-breathed (inspired by God) and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness (how to have an intimate right relationship with God), so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work (be fruitful for God and His kingdom). – 2 Timothy 3:16-17
2. GOD’S DISCIPLINE – PUNISHMENT
- ” The people of Israel and Judah have provoked me by all the evil they have done – they, their kings and officials, their priests and prophets, the men of Judah and the people of Jerusalem. They turned their backs to me and not their faces; though I taught them again and again, they would not listen (to God’s Word) or respond to discipline… (Israel was eventually conquered by the Babylonians as a result, but God eventually brought them back to Him) – Jeremiah 32:32-42
- “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline and do not lose heart when He rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those He loves, and He punishes everyone He accepts as a son. Endure hardship as discipline: God is treating you as sons. … God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in His holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. – Hebrews 12:5-11
- Also read Deuteronomy 8:2-5 ,and John 15:1-2a
3. GOD’S DISCIPLINE – PURIFYING, MOLDING, RESHAPING, PRUNING
- Examples: Joseph – 13 years in prison and slavery
- David – 17 years hiding & running for his life
- Abraham – 25 years waiting for God’s promise
- Moses – 40 years in the wilderness
Each went through years of training and purifying and molding by God. Often by trials and hardship, until they became the men of God that God had in mind. This discipline was not punishment for sins or flawed character. It was God’s way of molding and shaping these men into faithful men of God.
God Will Use Trials & Circumstances To Mold & Purify You
” Therefore, since Christ suffered in His body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.” – I Peter 4:1-2
Psalm 66:8-12 “Praise our God, all peoples, let the sound of his praise be heard; he has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping. For you, God, tested us; you refined us like silver. You brought us into prison and laid burdens on our backs. You let people ride over our heads; we went through fire and water, but you brought us to a place of abundance.”
Malachi 3:2-3 “But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner’s fire or a launderer’s soap. He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness.”
” Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish it’s work so that you may be mature and complete (like Christ), not lacking anything. – James 1:1-4
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. … while every branch that does bear fruit He prunes, so that it will be even more fruitful.” – John 15:1,2b
God’s ultimate goal for you is to be more and more like Jesus. He uses His word and His discipline to accomplish His goal for you. And when He has to God will even allow and use difficulties and trials in your life. He does this because He loves you, and wants you to be the very best you can be. Which is to be like Jesus.
Romans 8:28-29 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[ a] have been called according to his purpose. or those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son…”
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There are hundreds of Bible verses and great truths & promises in the Pursuing Intimacy With God studies book