Is Jesus Your First Love ? (Part 2)
Is Jesus your First Love. Do you love Jesus more than any other person or thing ? Is Jesus your Treasure ? Is Jesus more valuable and important to you than any other person or thing ? Are you more passionate about Jesus than any other person or thing ? Is Jesus your Passion ?
Is Jesus Your First Love ?
Idols In Your Life
Before we decide that we do not have any idols in our lives, we need God to examine our hearts. We also need to honestly look into our hearts and ask the following questions:
Is Jesus Your First Love ?
- Do you have any idols in your life ?
What do you treasure and value and desire most ?
- Matthew 6:21 – “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
- God wants to be your Treasure, since He treasures you most
What do you seek after or pursue most ?
- Proverbs 21:21
- Matthew 6:33 – “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”
- God wants you to pursue and seek Him first
What takes most of your time & focus & energy ?
- Colossians 3:1-5 – “Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory. Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.
- God wants you to set your heart and mind on Him and His kingdom
What do you put your trust in ?
- Proverbs 3:5-6 – “Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.”
- God wants you to trust in Him with all your heart
What do you think will satisfy and fulfill you ?
- Isaiah 55:1-3 – “You there! Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat. Come, buy wine and milk. Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy ? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance. Incline your ear and come to Me. Listen, that you may live; And I will make an everlasting covenant with you, According to the faithful mercies shown.”
- Psalm 63:1-5
- Psalm 81
- John 10:10 – ” The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came so that they would have life, and have it abundantly.”
- God wants to give you abundant life & fully fill and satisfy your heart & soul
What are some things you are not willing to let go of ?
- Philippians 3:7-9 – “But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ. And may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness.”
- you need to be willing to love and follow Jesus, whatever the cost
Why do you do the things you do ?
- 1 Chronicles 28:9 – “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the LORD searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.”
- Matthew 22:37-40
- 2 Corinthians 5:9 – “Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.”
- Your motives should be love for God and love for others
Additional Bible verses to read
“God looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God.” – Psalm 53:2
“Yet you have not called upon me… you have not wearied yourselves for me.” – Isaiah 43:22
“All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away. No one calls on your name or strives to lay hold of you. You have hidden your face from us and made us waste away because of our sins.” -Isaiah 64:6-7
“I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean. And I will cleanse you from your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you. I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws…You will be my people, and I will be your God.” – Ezekiel 36:25-28
God Needs to Touch Our Hearts
” I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am the Lord. They will be My people and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with all their heart.” – Jeremiah 24:7
“If my people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.” – 2 Chronicles 7:14
” Even now, declares the Lord, return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning. Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity.” – Joel 2:12-13
- Jesus wants to be your First Love, because you are His first love
- And Jesus wants to be your Treasure, because you are His treasure
- Jesus wants to be your Passion, because you are His passion
May God touch our hearts and renew a first love for Him. May Jesus truly be our First Love, Treasure, and our Passion.
Pursuing Intimacy With God
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There are hundreds of Bible verses and great truths & promises in the Pursuing Intimacy With God studies book