Part 2 of The Kind Of Church God Wants
A Spirit-Filled, Powerful, Fruitful Christian & Church
John 15:8 – “My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.”
John 15:16 – “You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain…”
The 1st Key to Being The Kind of Church God Wants
In Part 1 of this 2 part series of articles, we looked at the early church in Acts. We discovered the 1st Key we need to have in order to be the kind of church God wants us to be. We have to be completely devoted and committed to Jesus.
In Part 2 we will continue to look at the kind of church God wants. And we will continue to look into what it looks like to be fully devoted to Jesus. When we are fully devoted to Jesus and obedient, we will see the results that God can produce with this type of church.
We will also discover the 2nd Key that we need to have in order to be the type of church God wants.
Fully Devoted to Jesus – Whatever The Cost
Despite the difficult circumstances and the high cost of following Jesus, they were totally devoted and committed to Jesus. Not just to doing some religious things… to Jesus.
- All of the apostles (the leaders & pastors of the early church), except John, died for following and serving Jesus.
- Stephen also died (see Acts 7), Paul and many others also suffered and died for Jesus.
Because of their total devotion and commitment to Jesus, they were the kind of church God wants. And the result was a Spirit-filled, powerful, and fruitful church.
The Results and The Signs of Being a Spirit-filled & Fruitful Church
- Acts 2:43 – Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles.
- a sign of God’s presence & glory filling the church : awe, wonders & signs, miracles
- Acts 2:44 “All the believers were together and had everything in common.”
- another sign of God’s presence & glory : supernatural “agape” sacrificial love and “koinania” fellowship and unity.
- Acts 2:45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need.
- another sign of God’s presence & glory : great generosity, unselfishness, love & concern for others (God’s sacrificial “agape” love… the sacrificial love that Jesus displayed when He died on the cross for our sins).
- Acts 2:46 “Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,
- another sign of God’s presence & glory. Joy, gladness, contentment, sincerity (despite difficult circumstances, suffering, and the threat of dying)
- Acts 2:47a “praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people (good reputation).”
- another sign of God’s presence & glory. Sincere heart-felt true worship and awe of God.
Now we will look at the 2nd half of Acts 2:47.
The Lord Added Daily…
Acts 2:47b – “and the Lord added to their number daily those who were (joining the church ?) being saved.
Question – how should we define success for a church ? Number of members ? Attendance ? How many programs we have ? How big the campus is ?
We ought to define success as a Christian and church the way God does. 1) as doing whatever Jesus tells us to do. 2) Is there eternal spiritual fruit being produced in our lives and in our service and in our church ?
The eternal spiritual fruit shown in this verse is salvations. Many people were being reached for Jesus and saved. Many were being forgiven of their sins and having peace with God. And a new restored relationship with God. And eternal life in heaven.
God Produces Spiritual Fruit Through His Faithful & Devoted Servants
Notice in Acts 2:47b that it is the Lord God that is adding to their number those who were being saved. It is God that produces eternal fruit. And it is God who receives the glory (see John 15:8).
One of the Main Signs of a Spirit-filled and fruitful Christian and church is that there will be Eternal Spiritual Fruit. Eternal Spiritual Fruit comes in 2 forms. 1) Salvations. 2) Spiritual growth of the believers. In other words, Llves are being transformed.
A Lifestyle of Joining God In His Mission
Notice also that Acts 2:47b says that “the Lord was adding to their number – daily” – this is significant, and it shows that His people, the church, was doing their part regularly in their daily lives. Following and obeying Jesus and doing their part that He commanded them to do was a lifestyle.
They didn’t just do their part as a special event once in awhile, they regularly did their part in their daily life. Because they were fully devoted and committed to Jesus. And Jesus commanded them (and us) to “Follow me and I will make you fishes of men.” Fishers of men are people who actively in their daily life tell as many people as possible about Jesus and how to be saved and have a restored relationship with God & eternal life in heaven.
The 2ND KEY To Being The Kind of Church God Wants
The 2nd Key is to be obedient and faithful in fulfilling God’s kingdom work and mission.
We MUST be on mission with God in order to experience God’s presence/glory/power in our church, And to see God doing what only He can do. Our part is to join God in the work He is already doing and be on mission with Him. Being on mission with God in our “Jerusalem” (local area), our “Judea & Samaria” (regional area), and “the ends of the earth” (as He leads). Acts 1:8
If participating in God’s Kingdom work & mission, or being on mission with God is the 2nd Key in order to be the kind of Christian & church God wants, then it is vitally important that we understand what God’s mission is. Many churches are dead or dying today because they are not filled with God’s presence and glory and power. And they are not filled with God’s presence & glory & power because their hearts are far from God, and they have abandoned God’s mission for their own mission.
In Part 3 we will look into what the Bible clearly shows is our God given mission and purpose. We do not define what our mission is. Only God has the right to do that.
Pursuing Intimacy With God
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There is much more information on Intimacy With God, Prayer, Praise & Worship, Hearing God’s Voice,… and hundreds of great Biblical truths and promises in the Pursuing Intimacy With God Bible studies.