The Names of God And Their Meanings
In the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, someone’s name was important. Names had a significant meaning in the Bible, and names typically described the character of a person or some specific character traits.
There are many names for God in the Bible, especially in the Old Testament. Below we will show the names of God and how each name describes a specific character trait of God. It is good to learn the names of God, as it will help to learn the great character traits of our Lord God.
Ultimately God has something even more important in mind for you than simply learning the names of God, or reading about God and reading about God’s character traits. Ultimately God wants you to know Him in personal and real ways by experiencing Him in your life. For example, God wants you to learn and experience His great faithfulness by showing and revealing His perfect faithfulness to you in your life.
Here are the names of God and the meanings of the names of God
Yahweh – I AM
- God has always existed and will always exist. You can always rely on God because He is your eternal source of strength.
- Genesis 2:4; Isaiah 40:3,10; 1 Samuel 1:20; Exodus 6:1-4, Exodus 3:1-22
- God is the Lord over all. He is the King of kings and the Lord of lords. God reigns forever. Therefore you will find safety in Him and Him alone.
- Genesis 15:2; Judges 6:15; Malachi 1:6; Deuteronomy 10:17; Psalm 2:4, 8:1, 97:5, 136:3; Isaiah 1:24, 6:1; Romans 10:9
- The Lord your sanctifier. He forgives your sins and His Holy Spirit works in your life to become like He is: pure, loving and true.
- Exodus 31:13, Leviticus 20:8; Ezekiel 37:28
- The Lord my shepherd. He cares for you, the way a shepherd tends his sheep. He cares for you and leads you to still waters and green pastures.
- Psalm 23, 80:1, 95:7; Isaiah 40:11, Jeremiah 31:10, Ezekiel 34:12, 23
- The Lord who is present. He never leaves you, nor forsakes you. He is with you forever. Your best friend who never betrays you.
- Ezekiel 48:35, Genesis 28:15, Ezekiel 48:35, Psalm 23:4, 46:1, 139:7-12; Jeremiah 23:23-24, Amos 5:14
- The Lord our healer. “By His stripes were are healed” declares the Bible. Jesus Christ died to give you life. Not only was God the healer in the Old Testament, but Jesus Christ revealed the healing heart of God for all of us.
- Exodus 15:26, Exodus 15:26, 2 Chronicles 7:14, Psalm 6:2, 41:4, 103:3, 147:3; Isaiah 19:22, 30:36, 57:18-19; Jeremiah 3:22; 17:14, 30:17
- The Lord our righteousness. When we believe in Jesus Christ He becomes our righteousness. He forgives our sins and washes us with His blood.
- Jeremiah 23:6, Genesis 15:6, Jeremiah 23:6, Psalm 4:1, 5:8, 24:5, 31:1, 36:10, 71:15, 89:16
- The Lord will provide. Jesus Christ said that Father cares for us and we never need to worry about provision. He is our source of life and all we need.
- Genesis 22:13-14
- The Lord our victory & banner. The Lord gives us the victory in spiritual warfare. When the enemy comes the Lord raises a banner of His love over us and covers us. He wages war on our behalf and makes us more than conquerors in Jesus.
- Exodus 17:15
- The Lord is peace. Whenever there are storms in your life God is your shelter in the storm. He gives peace beyond understanding, even when circumstances are chaotic. He is our shelter and our shield.
- Judges 6:24
- The Lord of Hosts. The Bible mentions myriads of angels, who wage war against the armies of hell, who try to destroy mankind. Jesus Christ is the Lord of hosts, the Captain of the armies of heaven.
- Isaiah 6:1-3, 1 Samuel 1:3, 17:45; 2 Samuel 6:2, 7:26-27; 1 Chronicles 11:9; Haggai 1:5
- The God of Recompense. The Lord says in Romans 12 “vengeance is mine, I will repay.” We should never avenge others for what they do to us, but leave it in God’s hands.
- Jeremiah 51:6
- The ever revealing One. God reveals Himself as your personal God. He is always the same.
- Psalm 103:47, 139:1-18; Isaiah 45:21, Zechariah 13:9, Proverbs 1:7-9
- God is creator, powerful and mighty, the Lord of lords. He is the Lord Most High, stronger and more powerful than anyone or anything.
- Genesis 1:1, 17:7, Psalm 19:1 Jeremiah 31:33
The most high God. Do not fear the enemy who tries to defeat you. Know that your God is the Most High God. There is none above Him. Jesus Christ is exalted high above every name.
- Genesis 14:17-20, Deuteronomy 26:19, Isaiah 14:13-14
- Mighty God. The Lord is mighty to save. His arm is not too short. Whatever problem you are facing know that your God is El-Gibhor, MIGHTY!
- Isaiah 9:6
- The everlasting God. God is eternal, while your problems are temporary. His love will never change. His promises are true. Build on Him, who is eternal and do not focus on your temporary situations. He will show you His great and eternal goodness.
- Isaiah 40:28-31
- The strong one who sees. When you feel lonely and abandoned by people, know that God is with you. He sees you and He knows you. God hears the cry of your heart and He loves you more than you can imagine. He will lead you through and fill your hear with His praise.
- Genesis 16:13
- God Almighty, the mighty One of Jacob. God is not just another ‘god’ like the countless idols. He truly is the Almighty Creator of heaven and earth.
- Gen. 17:1, 49:24; Psalm 91:1, 132:2, 5
- God is our Creator and our Father. He saw us and He loved us, even before we were born. He has a plan for your life and if you walk with Him, He will fulfill His dreams over your life and amaze you.
- Psalm 139:13-18
- God of knowledge. Wisdom comes from the Lord. Man tries to become wise apart from God but ends up in foolishness. When we fear God and keep His commandments we will know Him as He is and His wisdom will guide us.
- 1 Samuel 2:3; Romans 11:33-36; 1 Corinthians 1:18-31
- The Ancient of Days. God is eternal. He was before the beginning of time. Therefore He has all authority over everything and everyone.
- Daniel 7:9,13,14
In our next Bible study article we will look at the names of Jesus Christ and their meanings.
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There are hundreds of Bible verses and great truths & promises in the Pursuing Intimacy With God studies book