You Must Seek God With All Your Heart
In God’s word the Bible God promises us that if you seek God with all your heart, then you will find Him. If you seek to know God in real and personal ways with all of our heart, then you will get to know God by Him revealing Himself to us.
When you commit to seek God’s will (ahead of our own will) and seek God with all your heart, then God will reveal His perfect will and purpose and calling to you. If you seek God’s guidance and wisdom and seek God with all your heart, then God will personally guide us and give us His far superior wisdom for any decision, need, or situation.
God’s Promises About Seeking Him
God promises that if you seek Him with all your heart then you will find Him. Any promise that God makes in His word you can take to the bank… God will always fulfill His promises because of His perfect character and His perfect faithfulness. God is perfectly faithful so His promises are guarantees. So if you are seeking God with all your heart, then you will surely find Him.
- Deuteronomy 4:29 – “But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul.”
- 1 Chronicles 28:9 – “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for the LORD searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever.”
- James 4:8 – ” Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.”
- Luke 11:9-10 – “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.”
Biblical Meaning of Seek God
* In the Bible the Old Testament and New Testament words for “seek God with all your heart” mean:
- to seek the face of God
- to desire
- Examine or explore
- to seek earnestly
- to diligently search for
- Wish for
- to crave
- to investigate
God Needs to Touch Our Hearts
Only God can touch your heart and give you the desire to continually seek God with all your heart, and the desire to know Him and to want His will & plans & ways above your own:
- “ I will give them a heart to know me.” – Jeremiah 24:7
- “ O Lord, God of our fathers, keep this desire in the hearts of your people forever, and keep their hearts loyal to you. And give my son Solomon the wholehearted devotion to keep your commands, requirements, and decrees…” – I Chronicles 29:18-19
- “For it is God who works in you to will and act according to His good purpose.” – Phil. 2:13
Love And Passion For God
To seek God with all your heart is all about having a love and a passion for God. Then your heart will be they way God wants it to be:
- When God is your First Love. God loves us as His first love, and He loves us more than anything else that He has created. God wants us to love Him back this way… to love God more than anything else or anyone else.
- When in your heart God is your Treasure. God sees us as very special and precious treasures, and we are more special and valuable to God than anything else He has created. God wants to be our Treasure, so that we will value Him more than anything else.
- When in your heart God is your Passion. God is passionate about us, and has a passion to have close fellowship with us. He wants to be our passion, where we are more passionate about God (and the things He is passionate about like saving lost people…) than anything else.
God Wants to be Your First Love, Your Treasure, Your Passion
When God is your First Love, our Treasure, and our Passion, then you will seek God with all your heart. Paul was a very faithful and passionate servant of Jesus, and is a good example for us to follow. He was so devoted to Jesus that he was able to go through anything for Him, even suffering and dying for Jesus.
- “I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish that I may gain Christ… And I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection…” – Paul (Philippians 3:7-11)
More Bible Verses About Seeking God
Here are more verses and great truths & promises in the Bible about seeking God with all your heart:
- 1 Chronicles 16:10-11 – “Glory in His holy name; Let the hearts of those rejoice who seek the LORD ! Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face evermore !”
- 2 Chronicles 7:14 – “If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
- 2 Chronicles 15:2-4 – ” The LORD is with you while you are with Him. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will forsake you. For a long time Israel has been without the true God, without a teaching priest, and without law; but when in their trouble they turned to the LORD God of Israel, and sought Him, He was found by them.”
- Ezra 8:22 – “The hand of our God is upon all those for good who seek Him, but His power and His wrath are against all those who forsake Him.”
- Psalm 9:9-10 – “The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, A refuge in times of trouble. And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; For You, LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You.”
More Bible Verses and Promises
- Psalm 14:2 – “The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men, To see if there are any who understand, who seek God.”
- Psalm 25:4-5 – “Show me Your ways, O LORD; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day.”
- Psalm 27:8 – “When You said, “Seek My face,” my heart said to You, “Your face, LORD, I will seek.
- Psalm 69:32 – “The humble shall see this and be glad; And you who seek God, your hearts shall live.”
- Psalm 119:1-3 – “Blessed are the undefiled in the way, Who walk in the law of the LORD ! Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, Who seek Him with the whole heart ! They also do no iniquity; They walk in His ways.”
- Proverbs 2:3-6 – “if you cry out for discernment, And lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, And search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, And find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.”
The Benefits of Seeking God
- Proverbs 28:5 – “Evil men do not understand justice, but those who seek the LORD understand all.”
- Lamentations 3:21-26 – “This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope. Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I hope in Him ! The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly For the salvation of the LORD.
- Zephaniah 2:3 – ” Seek the LORD, all you meek of the earth, Who have upheld His justice. Seek righteousness, seek humility. It may be that you will be hidden In the day of the Lord’s anger.”
Make God and His Kingdom Work & Mission As Your Top Priority
- Matthew 6:33 – “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”
- Acts 17:26-27 – “He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their pre-appointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us.”
- Hebrews 11:6 – “But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.”
In Part 2 we will look more into what the Bible has to say about seeking God.
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There are hundreds of Bible verses and great truths & promises in the Pursuing Intimacy With God studies book