The Keys To Hear God’s Voice
There can be a big difference between hearing God’s voice and listening to Him. Seeking God and listening to His voice is part of having a humble and reverent heart attitude toward God, which is one of the keys to hear God’s voice.
God speaks to His people, and the Bible is full of examples. God continues to speak to His people to guide and lead them, and it is critical to learn to discern & hear God’s voice. You cannot have intimacy with God or follow Him without learning the keys to hear God’s voice.
Previous Bible study articles on how to hear God’s voice
Learning the 6 keys to hear God’s voice is very important. In fact, you will never have intimacy with God and know how to follow Him without learning the keys to hear God’s voice.
It takes time and effort to learn how to hear God’s voice, and to have intimacy with God. There is no quick way or shortcuts to take to learn how to hear the “still small voice” of God.
John 10:27 – “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”
Here are the keys to hear God’s voice.
THE 6 KEYS TO HEAR GOD’S VOICE
1. TIME & EFFORT
- You need to take time to seek God and listen to Him
- Jeremiah 29:12-13 – “Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD.”
- Psalm 119:2 – “Blessed are those who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart.”
- “If you have so much business to attend to that you have no time to pray, depend upon it, you have more business on hand than God ever intended you should have.” – D.L. Moody
- “Be still and know that I am God.” – Psalm 46:10
- You need to have quiet and stop all you are doing
- You need to concentrate and focus on God
- You need to get alone with God
- Matthew 6:6-7 – “When you pray, go to your room and close the door. Pray privately to your Father who is with you. Your Father sees what you do in private. He will reward you.”
- Luke 5:16 – “Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.”
- You need to get away from all of the distractions around you
- You need to let God do the talking before you speak and pray and ask for things
- Matthew 7:24 – “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.”
- You should put worship & praise (so you can focus on God) and then reading God’s word ahead of your asking God for your needs/desires/problems and those of others
- Normally in our prayer time we dive right into our prayer requests for ourselves and others before we take the time to listen for God’s voice
- Be devoted to God
- Metthew 6:33 – “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”
- Acts 2:42 – ‘They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.”
- Be disciplined
- Stick with it and do not give up
6. SUBMISSION & HUMILITY
- You need to have a soft & willing & obedient heart
- Isaiah 1:19-20 – “If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good things of the land; 20but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword.” For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.”
- Exodus 33:13 – “If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you.”
- You are willing to do whatever God tells you to do
- Be willing to be whatever God wants you to be
- You are willing to go wherever God tells you to go
“God gives the gift of humility, which brings a softness of heart – a gift that will always cause you to listen to God.” – Oswald Chambers
“Lord, send me anywhere – only go with me; Lay any burden on me – only sustain me; Sever all ties, except the one that binds me to yourself.” – David Livingstone
YOU CAN’T BE INTIMATE WITH GOD AND HAVE THE FULLEST POSSIBLE FELLOWSHIP & PARTNERSHIP WITH HIM (1 Corinthians 1:9) UNLESS YOU SUBMIT ALL TO HIM AND BECOME ONE WITH HIM
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There are hundreds of Bible verses and great truths & promises in the Pursuing Intimacy With God studies.