Hinderances to Hearing God’s Voice and Intimacy With God
Hearing God’s voice is by far the most important part of your prayer & fellowship time with Him. You cannot have an intimate and wonderful fellowship with God without leaning to hear God’s voice and intimately communicate with Him.
There can be a big difference between hearing God’s voice and listening to Him. The Biblical word listening means to reverently and attentively hear God’s voice, with the intent of doing & obeying what you hear God say. Our heart needs to be right with God, with no hinderances to hearing God’s voice. Seeking God and listening to His voice is part of having a humble and reverent heart attitude toward God.
Here are some hinderances to hearing God’s voice that hinder us from having intimacy with God. There are many things that can cause us to not hear God’s voice:
1. WE DON’T KNOW GOD VERY WELL
- We need to be in God’s word regularly to know Him.
- God speaks to His people often in the Bible to lead and guide and instruct them
- Many people do not know God well enough to know that He speaks to His people
2. LOW SELF ESTEEM
- Many people don’t know or feel that they are God’s child & often think “Why would God want to talk to me ?”
3. GUILT (False Guilt)
- Satan lies and gives a person a false sense of guilt.
4. TOO BUSY
- The cares of the world crowd God out of our lives.
- It takes quality time with God and effort to hear God’s voice.
- You need to believe that God wants to speak to you through His Holy Spirit.
- You need to believe that God wants to give your life purpose and meaning, and He wants to use you in His eternal kingdom work and mission.
6. ANGER AT GOD
- If you’re angry at God you won’t want to listen to Him.
- People get angry at God for many reasons – they don’t like the way their life is; they are angry at God for letting difficult circumstances or trials happen; they blame God for bad things that happen…
- It is impossible to have a soft, humble, and moldable heart towards God if you are angry at Him.
- It is difficult to have a heart that wants to hear God’s voice and follow Him if you are angry at Him.
- I John 1:9 tells us that “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”
- Confession is more than just saying “I confess my sin and I sorry I sinned”. Confession is agreeing with God about your sin and that you personally sinned again God, and that you intend to do something about the sin.
- There needs to be a turning away from sin (repentance) and a turn back to God. Then your fellowship with God will be restored.
8. REBELLIOUS SPIRIT
- the opposite of knowing God is rebellion, not a lack of information
- not attentively and reverently reading God’s word and not listening to Him, and living any way you want to is being rebellious towards God. It is having a hard rebellious heart.
9. YOU REJECT THE PERSON OR CIRCUMSTANCES THAT GOD IS USING TO SPEAK
- God mainly speak through His word. At times God will speak into our hearts during our prayer and quiet time with Him. If you think God is speaking into your heart, it should always agree with or match what you are seeing in God’s word.
- God will usually use people or circumstances to confirm what He is saying through His word. You need to pay attention to the person speaking or the circumstances, if they match up with what God is speaking through His word.
10. YOU ARE UNTRAINED TO LISTEN TO GOD
- You can learn to hear God’s voice. It takes time but you can learn how to discern God’s voice and what He is speaking to you.
In the next article we will discuss how you can learn to hear God’s voice and discern what He is speaking to you.
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There are hundreds of Bible verses and great truths & promises in the Pursuing Intimacy With God studies.