Learn to Wait On God : An Important Lesson
Although waiting on God is never easy, there are times in our lives when God will make us wait on Him. He wants and needs to teach us an important lesson that we all need to learn if we are to become mature, faithful, and fruitful disciples and followers of Jesus. The important lesson is to learn to wait on God.
We need to learn to not get ahead of God, and learn that His ways and His timing are always best. We need to learn that without Him we can do nothing (John 15:5) and we cannot produce spiritual eternal fruit on our own. And we need to learn that we have to be completely dependent on Him. And we need to learn to be in step with God and His timing. We need to learn to be one with God, as Jesus and our Father are one (John 17).
We learn many important lessons when we learn to wait on God.
WHEN GOD IS READY, IN HIS TIME HE MOVES STRONGLY & SWIFTLY
- “I am the LORD; in it’s time I will do this swiftly.” – Isaiah 60:22
- God has a set time to do what He wants to do or what He promises to do
- When it is God’s time, He will do what He has planned or promised quickly, strongly, and in a far better way than we could ever do it
A GREAT PROMISE & TRUTH… GOD WILL ALWAYS ACT ON BEHALF OF THOSE WHO LOVE & TRUST HIM & WAIT ON HIM:
- “Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him. – Isaiah 64:4
WE NEED TO LEARN TO WAIT PATIENTLY FOR GOD, ESPECIALLY WHEN ARE CONFUSED AND WE DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT HE IS DOING.
God has a great purpose in mind that just fixing our temporary problem or circumstance.
“I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire. And He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the LORD and put their trust in him. Blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods.” – Psalm 40:1-4
WE NEED TO LEARN TO WAIT ON GOD, AND LEARN THESE LESSONS:
GOD IS NOT IN A HURRY !!!
- He wants it done right, not done quickly
GOD HAS HIS TIME AND HIS WAY
- Acts 1:7 “He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.”
- 2 Peter 3:8 “But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the LORD a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.”
- Psalm 75:2 “I choose the appointed time; it is I who judge with equity.”
FAITH STRENGTHENS WITH USE
INSTANT ANSWERS DO NOT MATURE US
PATIENCE IS ONE OF OUR GREATEST NEEDS
GOD WANTS TO MAKE US COMPLETE & WHOLE
- James 1:2-4 “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”
WAITING DURING TRIALS IS GOOD TRAINING:
- see Hebrews 12
- Malachi 3:3 “He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness.”
WAITING BUILDS CHARACTER & BUILDS OUR HOPE
- Romans 5:3 “Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.”
- Isaiah 49:23 “Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who hope in me will not be disappointed.”
GOD WANTS TO TRANSFORM US TO BE LIKE JESUS
- Romans 8:28-29 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son.”
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 “And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the LORD’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the LORD, who is the Spirit.”
WE NEED TO LEARN SUBMISSION
- James 4:6-8 “But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.”
- James 4:10 “Humble yourselves before the LORD, and he will lift you up.”
- Isaiah 1:19-20 “If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good things of the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword.” For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.”
GOD WANTS US TO BE ONE WITH HIM AND INTIMATE WITH HIM
- John 17:22-23 “The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.”
Waiting on God does not mean sitting around and doing nothing until God is ready to move and respond. Waiting on God can be a very active time of spending extra time in prayer and in God’s word, seeking Him and His voice. Because of this extra focused time alone with God, many people emerge from difficulties and times of waiting on God with a much deeper and more intimate fellowship with God.
WAITING ON GOD MEANS:
TRUSTING IN HIM
RESTING IN HIM
- Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
- “Take my yoke upon you”… Jesus is talking about submitting to Him, His will, His timing… and letting Him be in front and lead you. He is Lord, and we are His followers.
HOPING IN HIM
- Isaiah 49:23 – “Kings will be your foster fathers, and their queens your nursing mothers. They will bow down before you with their faces to the ground; they will lick the dust at your feet. Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who hope in me will not be disappointed.”
WAITING WITH HIM
- Hebrews 13:5-6 “God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The LORD is my helper; I will not be afraid.”
SEEKING HIM AND HIS WILL
- “You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.” – Jeremiah 29:13
GETTING RIGHT WITH HIM
SUBMITTING TO HIM
- Isaiah 66:2 “Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?” declares the LORD. “These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word.”
- IF THE REQUEST IS WRONG: GOD SAYS “NO”
- WHEN THE TIMING IS WRONG: GOD SAYS “SLOW”
- IF YOU ARE WRONG: GOD SAYS “GROW”
- BUT IF THE REQUEST IS RIGHT, THE TIMING IS RIGHT, AND YOU ARE RIGHT: GOD SAYS “GO”.”
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There are hundreds of Bible verses and great truths & promises in the Pursuing Intimacy With God studies.