Can You Know God Personally ? – Part 2
Can You Be God’s Friend ?
In Part 1 we talked about before you can know God personally, in real and personal ways, you need to first have a reconciled or restored personal relationship with Him. A restored personal relationship with God comes through His Son Jesus Christ.
In Part 2 we will learn what “to know God” means in the Bible. Can you know God personally & intimately, and be His friend ? What does it take to know God personally ?
To know God means much more than just knowing about God. God wants us to know Him and His love & mercy & goodness,… in very personal and real ways. He wants us to enjoy His presence in our lives, and to see and join Him in His activity & work around us.
- “This is Eternal Life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent.” – John 17:3
- “…. So that you may know and believe Me (God), and understand that I am He.” – Isaiah 43:10
- “Teach me your ways so that I may know you and continue in your favor.” – Exodus 33:13
Can you know God personally ? The Bible indicates that you can. The Hebrew word “yada” is used in the Old Testament and is translated in English as the word “Know” or “Knowledge”.
The Hebrew word yada has a much wider sweep and meaning than the English word know. The Biblical Old Testament word for Know God personally means the following; to know God means:
- to Perceive
- to Learn
- to Understand
- to Recognize
- to Believe
- to Accept His Claims
- to Conform
- to Be Willing
- to Perform or Live (to please God)
- to Obey
- to See or Experience
Can you know God personally ? The above English words that come out of the Hebrew word “yada” all hold important keys to getting to know God personally, the way that He wants us to know Him. Not just to know about God, but to know Him personally and in real ways by experiencing & seeing Him in your life.
The opposite of knowing God is not ignorance or a lack of knowledge, but is Rebellion. The things that hinder our knowing God personally are a lack of faith, a lack of conforming or submitting to Him, disobedience, and rebellion.
The Greek words “oida” and “ginosko” are used in the New Testament for Knowing God. They have the wider meanings as the Hebrew word “yada”, but in the context that they are used in the New Testament, they also have the following additional meaning: to know God means:
- to Believe & Receive Jesus (John 1:12)
- to Know Truth (John 14:6)
- to Know Jesus is to Know God (Hebrews 1:1-3)
- to Respond in Faith (Mark 1:14-15, John 1:12)
Can you know God personally and intimately ? In order to truly know God personally, first you have to repent (turn away from) of your sins. Then you need to place all of your faith in His Son Jesus Christ (not in a religion, or a church, or in good works… only in Jesus), and also commit your life to follow Jesus and receive Him as your Lord and Savior.
Once you have a restored relationship with God through faith in Jesus, you begin a new relationship and fellowship with Him. It is a long process to grow closer to God, to grow in your faith in Him, and to be transformed to Jesus’ image and character (see Romans 8:28-29) and His will, and to become like Him. It requires spending a lot of time with God and seeking Him.
It is possible to know God in personal and real ways. Your heart has to be right towards God. You need to seek Him and spend time with Him, in order for you to know God personally. In His word the Bible God promises that if we seek Him we will find Him (and ultimately you can know God personally).
- “O, the fullness, the pleasure, the sheer excitement of knowing God on earth.” – Jim Elliott
- “Teach me Your ways, so that I may know you, and continue to find favor with You.” – Moses (Exodus 33:13)
- “I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.” – Paul (Philippians 3:7-10)
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
The Pursuing Intimacy With God Bible studies book includes hundreds of verses and great truths and promises from God’s Word.