Why You Should Pray & Spend Time With God
God sees you as a precious treasure, and He longs to have close fellowship with you. More than anything He wants you to have an intimacy with God, close fellowship with Him, and a partnership with God in His kingdom work & mission.
God longs for you to spend time with Him daily and intimately communicate with Him, to hear His voice, to enjoy fellowship with Him, to trust and follow Him, and to join Him in His kingdom work. He wants to give your life great value and meaning and purpose through these things.
There are many reasons why you should pray and spend time with God. Here is why you should pray and regularly spend time with God:
#1 REASON: GOD DESIRES YOUR FELLOWSHIP:
- “God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.” – I Corinthians 1:9
- The Greek word for fellowship is “koinania” – this means the closest possible intimate fellowship with God, complete unity with God (being one with Him), and also having a partnership with God in His Kingdom work and mission.
- “You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.” – Galatians 3:26
- “ I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business; I have called you friends…” – John 15:15
- See “Your Identity In Christ” (WHO YOU ARE IN CHRIST)
GOD DESIRES FOR YOU TO KNOW HIM, TO BELIEVE HIM, TO UNDERSTAND THAT HE IS GOD.
- read JOHN 17:3 ; ISAIAH 43:10 ; PSALM 27:4
- Remember, God wants much more for you in your fellowship with Him than just to know about Him. God wants you to know Him in real & personal ways, by seeing and experiencing Him in and around your life. This is a much better & more intimate and real knowledge of God than just knowing about Him.
BECAUSE JESUS IS THE SOURCE OF ABUNDANT & FULL LIFE:
- DEUTERONOMY 30:15-20; JOHN 10:10, 14:6 (GOD/ JESUS IS YOUR LIFE)
- DEUTERONOMY 8:3 (GOD’S WORD LEADS YOU TO ABUNDANT LIFE)
- LAMENTATIONS 3:24 (GOD IS THE SOURCE OF ALL YOU NEED & WANT)
- JOHN 6:35; IS. 55:1-3 (ONLY JESUS CAN SATISFY & FULFILL YOU)
- JOHN 8:12 (ONLY JESUS GIVES PURPOSE & DIRECTION FOR YOUR LIFE)
- PSALM 63:1-5 (NOTHING IS BETTER THAN INTIMACY WITH GOD)
What do you think of when you hear the words “abundant life” ? Having a lot of material things ? Having a lot of money ? Living on a tropical island ? Something else?
- In John 10:10 Jesus tells us that He came to give us life – eternal life forever in heaven, and abundant & meaningful life here on earth.
- In John 14:6 Jesus tells us that “He is the life” – the source of eternal life and abundant life.
You need to walk with Jesus in an intimate love relationship, daily trusting & obeying & following Him, in order to experience the full and abundant life only He can give.
You cannot have abundant and full life without Jesus. When you give yourself fully to Jesus, then He will fill you with His overflowing and abundant and victorious life – He is the life.
“O, the fullness, the pleasure, the sheer excitement of knowing God on earth.” – Jim Elliott
YOU NEED TO SPEND TIME WITH GOD & BE FULLY COMMITTED TO HIM IN ORDER TO KNOW HIM INTIMATELY & TO BECOME LIKE JESUS.
- read PHILIPPIANS 3:8-10 and PSALM 27:4
- Like Paul & David, you need to be passionate in your seeking to know God, and in your fellowship with Him.
God’s word promises us that when we seek God with all of our heart we will find Him. May we have a desire and passion in our hearts to spend time with God and seek Him.
- ”Now devote your heart and souls to seeking the Lord your God.” – I Chronicles 22:19
- ”And you my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek Him he will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.” – I Chronicles 28:9
- “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. – Jeremiah 29:11-13
Pursuing Intimacy With God is committed to helping you with the most important thing in your life… your intimacy with God , your fellowship with Him, and your partnership with God in His Kingdom work & mission.
There are hundreds of Bible verses and great truths & promises in the Pursuing Intimacy With God studies book.