We have just finished our 2nd year of ministry in the Sao Paulo area, working with and helping and training churches to share the Good News of Jesus Christ in their communities. These 2 years have been truly amazing (and difficult at times), and God has done immeasurably more than we ask and could have imagined. We have said this many times, but it is true - all of this is not possible without your prayers and without the hand of the Lord. Thank you so much for praying for us and for the people here. Your prayers are very special and valuable to us. Join us as we rejoice and worship the Lord for the amazing things He has done in these 2 years: - Kevin & Nancy (Ephesians 3:20)
* 25,994 people have accepted Christ (there are quite possibly more, as we have shared one-on-one with hundreds more people, but these are the ones we are sure of)
* God has opened many doors for us, and we have spoken in 41 schools in 2 years. This year we spoke over 650 times in 26 schools.
* over 550 teachers have accepted Christ, along with 2 principals, 2 vice-principals, 7 coordenators, and 1 school employee
* We have had the privilege to work with over 30 churches thus far. We have also shared Christ in many homes, in a hospital, a health center, a Vacation Bible School, an English school, a Rotary Club meeting, and in various other special events.
* we have trained over 725 people in churches to share Christ with others through People Sharing Jesus seminars
November Events & Results:
November 4 : EMEF Jose Narciso school ; Campinas
We worked with Missionary Mike Titshaw (American) and his church in the Jd. Sao Marcos area of Campinas, which is about 2 hours north from where we live. We spoke to 5th to 8th grade students, and 271 students and 8 teachers accepted Christ.
November 6: EE Astrogildo Silva school ; Sao Joao Climaco - Sao Paulo
We worked with Pastor Carlos and Primeira Igreja Batista Sao Joao Climaco in this school, and spoke to 1st through 4th graders. We praise God that 272 students and 4 teachers accepted Christ. The school also has 5th to 8th graders and adults at night, and it looks like we will be able to speak to these classes next year, because the school very much liked our project and speech.
John & interpretor Joana sharing Jesus Interpretor Cristiane and I speaking in a class John and his team from the church Jo, Cristiane, me, Nancy, John, Joana, Jusara
November 10-11 : CEIJA school for adults ; Sao Mateus - Sao Paulo
We worked with pastor Haroldo and Igreja Batista IV Centenario in this special school for adults that is run by the Sao Paulo city government. After speaking a couple of times the principal asked us to not speak about our spiritual life (we speak about the body, the soul, and the spirit), because one of the teachers complained. We told her that this is a very important part of our lives and we really needed to speak about the spirit, and thank the Lord she let us continue. God moved in a very special way here, and 274 adult students and 5 teachers accepted Christ, and many showed interest in going to the church and growing in their new relationship with the Lord. Unfortunately the school had to reschedule our speaking in the night period, so we will return there next year to finish.
Alessandro, me, and the church team One of the classes we spoke in Interpretor Eduardo and I sharing Christ A large group of adult students & teachers
November 22: One Way english school ; Sao Bernardo
Agueda, the wife of Pastor Roberto of Igreja Batista Luz Para As Nacoes, studies English at this school, and she helped us to get the opportunity to speak and share Christ here. The school is part of the ETE Lauro Gomes technical school run by the state of Sao Paulo. The director was expecting 20-25 people to come, but we had 54 people, most of whom were college aged students. God moved very strongly in their hearts, and 40 of the 54 students accepted Christ. They had many great questions afterwards about the U.S., English, the differences in living here versus the U.S., global warming,...
Speaking to the students at One Way Part of the group of students Explaining how to have peace with God
November 24 : EE Branca Castro school ; Sao Lucas - Sao Paulo
We spoke at this school in June, but that week the teachers in Sao Paulo had a strike and we had to reschedule for the morning period of classes. We worked with Igreja Batista Boas Novas, and Flavia and Juninho from the church were our interpretors. We spoke mostly to students in high school, and also to a small group of adult students. We praise God that 134 students and 2 teachers accepted Christ. Also, the principal and coordenator are recommending us to many other schools in the East Zone of Sao Paulo. God continues to open many doors to share Christ.
Our group when we spoke in June Interpretor Flavia and I having fun Flavia, Jenainha, and I sharing Christ Us, the church group, and the principal
November 25: CC Rafa school/daycare ; Sao Bernardo
The owner of this special school & day care is Rosangela, who is a member of Primeira Igreja Batista Central in Sao Bernardo. I preached there in August and we also had a People Sharing Jesus seminar in September, and Rosangela invited us to speak to the students. Anderson and Regis, members of Rosangela's church, were our interpretors. The school is located in the Areiao favela (slum) in Sao Bernardo, which is a very poor and dangerous area. We had a very nice time with the students, and 53 of them and 1 teacher accepted Christ. There are 3 public schools in this area and Rosangela is going to try to get us in to speak in some of them next year.
Anderson and John with a class Nancy and interpretor Regis with students Nancy & I, Rosangela, a teacher & students Anderson, John, and more students
* Please continue to pray for Daniel. He has started a new treatment called "cognitive thinking" with a Christian pyschologist (Doctor Cleusa), and this should help his problem with anxiety. Please pray for God's wisdom for Cleusa, and for His healing touch for Daniel. We are asking the Lord to heal this problem before Daniel returns to the US for college in late June.
* Please continue to pray that the churches we are working with will be able to continue to work with the schools and with the new believers, to help them grow and to disciple them.
* We will be having meetings in Jan., and Feb. in schools and churches. Please pray for God to open many doors and opportunities to share Christ in 2009, for His glory. We praise God that we have already been able to schedule all events to speak in schools in March, April, and May 2009.
We wish everyone a Merry Christmas (Feliz Natal) and a Blessed New Year (Ano Novo Abencoado)
Special thanks to all of the interpretors that helped us in November: Elaine, Priscila, Joana, Cristiane, Alessandro, Fabiane, Eduardo, Victor, Wilame, Ricardo, Flavia, Juninho, Anderson, and Regis . You are all very special to us, and we very much appreciate your help.